Guillena has a majestic and extensive history, reflected in its impressive cultural legacy. Its monuments are the testimony of a long history, marked by the comings and goings of cultures that made the town their meeting point.
This is a building in the style of a medieval castle in the neo-Mudejar style, dating from the 19th century. It was built as the second residence of the Parladé family, in a beautiful spot on the current Water Route. The building resembles a defensive fortress from the Middle Ages and even has a small “defensive” moat like the castles of yesteryear.
The bullring of Guillena stands on top of the medieval castle that protected the town from the Andalusian period. Some of the walls of the fortress are preserved inside this interpretation centre. At first the square was built on the remains of the castle’s parade ground, which meant that the structure of the bullring was quadrangular. Due to the various alterations carried out over time, the square has gradually rounded out to an almost circular surface. The bullring of Guillena has seen such renowned bullfighters as Juan Belmonte, Manuel Díaz El Cordobés and Morante de la Puebla.
This is the most important monument in the town and is dedicated to the patron saint of the town. It dates back to the beginning of the 15th century. Built in the Mudejar style, it has a rectangular floor plan and a polygonal apse reinforced by buttresses. It consists of three naves separated by pointed arches, which are supported on pillars and covered with wooden framework, while the chancel has a vault of terceletes. The exterior façades are neoclassical in style. In terms of heritage, the three altarpieces at the head of the naves stand out: the altarpiece of San José (18th century), the altarpiece of the Inmaculada (17th century) and the main altarpiece, presided over by Nuestra Señora de la Granada (Our Lady of the Pomegranate). The church treasures various images of great quality, including an anonymous crucifix from the 16th century and Our Lady of the Rosary by the distinguished image-maker Jerónimo Hernández in 1578. Finally, there is an 18th century mural painting depicting Santa Lucía.
The building currently occupied by the Town Hall was built in 1782 in the Neoclassical style. Only the main façade remains from this period, as the interior has undergone several extensions and alterations. The Town Hall conserves an important documentary heritage, among whose files the Ensenada Cadastre stands out. This historical document is part of the meticulous inventory that the Marquis of Ensenada, minister of Ferdinand VI, ordered to be made in 1749 in all the municipalities of the Crown of Castile. This document details the cultivated hectares, the communal lands, the number of movable goods and their owners, a census of the population, a list of professions and incomes, among other data of great historical interest.
The first owner of the donadío where the fortification stands was Doña María de Molina, wife of Sancho IV, which is the reason for the place name. Later, the property would pass into the hands of Per Afán de Ribera. It was the House of Ribera in the 15th century that changed the use of the land on which the tower stands, converting it into a rural estate. Today, it is one of the most unique hotel establishments in the municipality, declared a National Historic-Artistic Monument in 1977.